Fwd: [Nitro] The Newbie! Q0-Q10

George Moschovitis george.moschovitis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 04:05:04 EDT 2005

Hello Emmanuel

> Q1: What is Nitro in one sentence?

Nitro is a web application platform. Nitro uses the Ruby language to inject
joy into web development. Nitro allows you to create scalable
applications. Scalability means:

- scalability on the server. Nitro will provide excellent support for
distributed applications. You will be able to simply add one more
server and see immediate performance gains.

- scalability of algorithms. We try to use O(1) algorithms as much as possible.

- scalability of development. Nitro allows you to start with a simple
application and scale this along your needs.

> Q2: What could it be used for? Show me an example (URL?).

Nitro sites will be available shortly. I plan to use it for sites similar to:

www.deviantart.com,
www.flicker.com

However Nitro is extremely useful for small intranet applications.

> Q3: What programming language was it written with?

Ruby, the programmers best friend.

> Q4: What should I know in order to be able to use Nitro? (Ruby? Html? Xml?

Ruby and Html are mandatory.

However it would be nice to be familiar with the following technologies:

CSS, XML, XHTML, Javascript, XSLT, etc...

> Q5: Could you point me in a basic tutorial, or quick reference for each of
> the previously mentioned prerequirements (URLs) [I will provide this by
> myslef ;-)]

A tutorial is coming soon. In the meantime, check out the Og tutorial
at www.rubygarden.com

> Q6: Where do I start: Download, Install, Check Install.

Simple:

Install Ruby
Install RubyGems (this is automatically installed on Windows)
run: gem install nitro
run: nitro

> Q7: Walk me through the nitro package. What is each directory needed for?
> Are directory names specifics? Could I change them?

You can use any directory structure you like.

> Q8: What is an .rb file? What is .xhtml .xsl ? Which ones do I use?

.rb contains ruby code.
.xhtml contains the server pages (the equivalent of php/asp/jsp)
.xsl (used to style your templates, this is optional, but really the most
powerful, elegant and standards compliant method to do templating.
Thanks to Nitro's implementation its is extremely efficient (in fact
it comes for free))
.css (the standard way to style html files)

> Q9: HelloWorld? Is there an example?

there are many examples. Checkout the examples directory.

> Q10: Ok! I see the example, I run it, but I do not understand what is
> happening. Could you explain the execution cycle of a small application
> like the HelloWorld? E.g when I do: "ruby run.rb" what happens?

I 'll come back with this one :)

-g.

--
http://nitro.rubyforge.org