[Nitro] The Newbie! Q0-Q10

Emmanuel Piperakis epiperak at softlab.ece.ntua.gr
Thu Apr 7 00:47:00 EDT 2005

So here how it all starts!

"In the beginning there was chaos.

And then G. (G. stands for George, or Dr G., I like that, it has a reference
to God, or the "G" spot!!) decided to sit down and code Nitro...

After a couple of days G. stopped, looked at Nitro and saw that it was
GOOD! And G. was pleased, and rested..."

And then the newbie came along and said: (Some of the questions are
explained in the Nitro API documentaion, and some seam very simple for
experienced users, but for the sake of newbies, simple concise answers
will suffice, eg. Q8 => A8: .rb is a Ruby executable file. Using the
command "ruby filename.rb" we run the file.)

Q0: To Nitro? or Not to Nitro? (in Vitro...)
Q1: What is Nitro in one sentence?
Q2: What could it be used for? Show me an example (URL?).
Q3: What programming language was it written with?
Q4: What should I know in order to be able to use Nitro? (Ruby? Html? Xml?
Xsl? SQL? General Web application developing?)
Q5: Could you point me in a basic tutorial, or quick reference for each of
the previously mentioned prerequirements (URLs) [I will provide this by
myslef ;-)]
Q6: Where do I start: Download, Install, Check Install.
Q7: Walk me through the nitro package. What is each directory needed for?
Are directory names specifics? Could I change them?
Q8: What is an .rb file? What is .xhtml .xsl ? Which ones do I use?
Q9: HelloWorld? Is there an example?
Q10: Ok! I see the example, I run it, but I do not understand what is
happening. Could you explain the execution cycle of a small application
like the HelloWorld? E.g when I do: "ruby run.rb" what happens?

Q0: is a rhetorical question.
A0: The answer is of course "To Nitro" ;-)

G. waiting for your feedback.

Ps. And this is merely the beginning...

Emmanouil Piperakis (epiperak at cs.ntua.gr)
{To explore is Human, to Create is Devine,
 To teach is Primal, to Rule is Sin}