[Mongrel] £ symbol and Mongrel

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 13:54:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Peter Eaves <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an application which had been developed and deployed with the
> following:
> *** LOCAL GEMS ***
> mongrel (1.2.0.pre2)
> mongrel_service (0.4.0)
> rails (2.3.5)
> The one issue which has appeared is that when running with
> mongrel_services any £ (pound signs) located in text field on the
> database are not being shown in the browser, I get a little square
> instead.
> If I close the mongrel_services down and revert to launching with ruby
> script/server the £ (pound signs) show correctly.
> Can anyone offer any advise of suggestions?

The problem seems to be encoding, not mongrel. Remember that the
application is run as service is not running with the same privileges
as script/server in the console.

Have you tried "mongrel start" in the console instead and see if that
have the same issue?

If so, then loading mongrel (through mongrel_service) is the problem,
and if not, the issue might be associated as the first thing I

Luis Lavena
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry