[Mongrel] can't get mongrel to work as daemon

Rick Cockerham lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Jun 23 13:50:04 EDT 2010

I'm on Red Hat rhel 5.  Apache 2.2, Mongrel 1.1.5, Ruby 1.8.6, Rails

When I run mongrel with -d it crashes the first time it's accessed.  It
doesn't return anything.  It doesn't log anything in development.log or
production.log depending on how I run it.  There is absolutely nothing
interesting in the mongrel or apache logs even with -B.

I recently upgraded to Rails 2.3.5.  That's when it stopped working.
I tried going to 2.3.8, but that was worse.  I tried going back to
mongrel 1.1.4, but that did the same thing.

I can run mongrel in the background then disown it, but that's a huge
pain to restart a cluster of mongrels that way.  I've been googling for
days and this is the only post that even comes close.  Of course, the
solution wasn't posted...