[Mongrel] Problem with mongrel_rails, but works with script/server

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 10:42:02 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:21 AM,  <rpavesic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there, I am having problem with mongrel_rails and
> I do not know whom to ask so I found your e-mail as
> one of the last people contributing to mongrel_rails, so
> may be you would be able to help me out.

Please, email mongrel-users mailing list for problems, so in that way
all benefit from the answers.

> Here is the problem:
> My platform is XP, ruby 1.8.6, rails 2.3.2. mongrel-1.1.5-x86-mswin32-60,
> mongrel_service-0.3.4-x86-mswin32.
> I have my application working perfectly when I start it with
> "script/server", but
> when  I "use mongrel_rails start" it starts the app but on several
> controllers it breaks (not all of them though <-how come???) and when it
> braks ti shows the
> message "undefined method `reflect_on_association' for Service:Module"

Do you have a model called Service? mongrel_service it also contains a
module called Service, so maybe ActiveRecord might be clashing, which
is strange.

Please provide a backtrace of the error, not just the last line of the error.

> When I set the break point in,the action of the controller where it breaks,
> and
> when the processing stop on this break point and if I type
>  >params
> It says
>>"Unknown command: "params". Try "help"
> but If I type
>>eval params
> it shows me the correct content of params hash:
>> {"action"=>"index", "controller"=>"doctor"}.
> Also if I type
> it says
>>"Unknown commad" "@_params". Try "help"
> but if I type
>>eval @_params
> it responds properly
>> {"action"=>"index", "controller"=>"doctor"}
> It even do not understands.

If you're using ruby-debug, you need to eval to get information from
the process you're debugging, you can't call params directly.

> Please help me if you can or may be direct me to somewhere where I could
> find help, advise or answers.

Please provide a full backtrace, you might be using a served word for
a controller or model that could be clashing with Mongrel, Rails or

Also, join and respond to mongrel-users mailing list, so all benefit
from the findings.

Luis Lavena
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry