[Mongrel] Patch to fix mongrel_service bugs with Windows Vista/2008 support and log file location

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 14:16:48 EDT 2009

On 11 Sep 2009, at 18:20, Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Daniel Gies
> <daniel_gies at bigfix.com> wrote:
>> Hello Mongrel users,
>>
>> I¹m a software developer at BigFix ( http://www.bigfix.com ) and we
>> use
>> Mongrel in one of our products.  We have made changes to the
>> mongrel_service
>> component to address problems outlined in Mongrel tickets 44 and 54:
>> http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/ticket/44
>> http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/ticket/54
>>
>> The modifications are as follows:
>> Change the way mongrel_service detects its runtime environment to
>> use a
>> method compliant with the Windows Vista security model.  This
>> modification
>> consists primarily of replacing elevated privilege code for process
>> inspection with a command-line argument.
>> Check for the ³-l² command line option and use that for the log
>> file instead
>> of using a hard-coded location.  The ³-P² option was not implemented.
>>
>> In accordance with term 2.a of the Ruby License (
>> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/LICENSE.txt ), we are making our
>> changes freely
>> available to the open source community.
>> The patch is based off of root/branches/stable_1-2/projects/
>> mongrel_service
>> as of 2009-09-10, also known as mongrel_service 0.35.
>> If you would prefer to receive the patch in an email attachment
>> please let
>> me know.
>
> Hello Daniel,
>
> Thank you for your patches!
>
> I'll have to invest on mongrel_service the upcoming week to fix this
> issue and integrate other pull request at GitHub repository.
>
> While I can do manually, would you mind review your patches against
> mongrel_service repository at GitHub?
>
> http://github.com/fauna/mongrel_service
>
> Either way, I'm going to take care of this.
>
> Thank you once again for your contributions.

Hey Luis,

Just thought I'd mention, I've got some (very simple) service wrappers
using win32-service in http://libraggi.rubyforge.org/ these days, and
the codes are up on my github. I know those libs used to be a problem
for us, but combined with the rubyw_helper they are very stable these
days (in production in a couple of environments). Of course, there's a
side note that win32-service depends on libs that compile with windows
system error handling extensions, which won't build on mingw (gcc
specifically), so some of the dependencies have to be gem installed
with --platform x86-mswin32 for the prebuilds.

You may not be willing to switch over, given the above, and that the
freebasic wrappers have been working well for such a long time, but I
thought I'd mention it.

Regards,

James