[Mongrel] Patch to fix mongrel_service bugs with Windows Vista/2008 support and log file location

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 13:20:22 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Daniel Gies <daniel_gies at bigfix.com> wrote:
> Hello Mongrel users,
> I¹m a software developer at BigFix ( http://www.bigfix.com ) and we use
> Mongrel in one of our products.  We have made changes to the mongrel_service
> component to address problems outlined in Mongrel tickets 44 and 54:
> http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/ticket/44
> http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/ticket/54
> The modifications are as follows:
> Change the way mongrel_service detects its runtime environment to use a
> method compliant with the Windows Vista security model.  This modification
> consists primarily of replacing elevated privilege code for process
> inspection with a command-line argument.
> Check for the ³-l² command line option and use that for the log file instead
> of using a hard-coded location.  The ³-P² option was not implemented.
> In accordance with term 2.a of the Ruby License (
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/LICENSE.txt ), we are making our changes freely
> available to the open source community.
> The patch is based off of root/branches/stable_1-2/projects/mongrel_service
> as of 2009-09-10, also known as mongrel_service 0.35.
> If you would prefer to receive the patch in an email attachment please let
> me know.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your patches!

I'll have to invest on mongrel_service the upcoming week to fix this
issue and integrate other pull request at GitHub repository.

While I can do manually, would you mind review your patches against
mongrel_service repository at GitHub?

Either way, I'm going to take care of this.

Thank you once again for your contributions.
Luis Lavena
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry