[Mongrel] Problems with mongrel_service and used account

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 17:32:02 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Markus Liebelt <mliebelt at web.de> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I try to use in a rails application that is installed with mongrel_service
> on windows the win32ole API to access Outlook appointments. This works
> well when started from the command line, but does not work when started as
> a service.
> What should I check in which order to trap down the error?

Hello Markus,

Services run without privileges for certain things, like create
objects and such.

Since you're executing from the command line and work, means that your
user has access to these OLE objects.

There are two options:

1) Configure the service to run under the same user account (that can
be done from the services management interface)

2) Determine the issue using psexec.

Try to lower the privileges of the prompt and execute the exact same
command line.

The tools you need are psexec, as I mentioned here:

See that thread for details.

Please also include in your reply information about your OS (32bits or
64bits), versions of Ruby and the gems installed too.

There is a known issue with 64bits Windows that was solved in latest
gem release, just in case.

Luis Lavena
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry