[Mongrel] Sharing a mongrel cluster in a multi-url environment

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Fri Jan 30 04:22:02 EST 2009

On Jan 29, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Will Green wrote:

> I'm not sure that instance-specific connections are supported by
> ActiveRecord (you can, however, use class-specific connections).
> From the
> ActiveRecord documentation,
> http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html, the
> database
> connection information is tied to your model at the class level. I
> don't
> think you can accomplish what you have described without a separate
> Mongrel
> cluster for each virtual host.

I'm hoping I can. What I'm going to try next is to use a common
database (the one defined in environment/production.rb) for the
sessions table. Then when I switch the database to the client's db,
the session table won't be affected.

That's the theory, anyway.

> Here's an alternate idea:
>
> Assuming you're deploying to a *nix server, what you might try
> instead is
> having your rails app live in one location on the file system.
> Then, since
> the only thing that is different is the configuration, for each
> domain,
> symlink in all but the config directory. The config directory will
> then be
> unique for each app, but all the code will be shared. When you
> update the
> application code, simply restart all the mongrel clusters.

Well, if I can get what I need working, I'll only have one shared
mongrel cluster. That is the goal -- to eliminate the need to have
dedicated mongrels for every client. I really don't want to have
hundreds of mongrels cluttering up the system.

BTW, I don't think it is a problem to have multiple mongrel clusters
on one directory. I haven't tried this, but don't see why it wouldn't
work. Just use a different pid for each cluster.

> Another idea: you may want to reconsider your application
> architecture. Do
> you really need a separate database for each host? Could you instead
> introduce a ClientAccount class (that has the value from
> X_CLIENT_ID as the
> Primary Key), and tie it into the other models with has_many
> relationships
> and a before_filter on the ApplicationController? This way, you
> don't need
> separate configs, you could point each VirtualHost at the same Mongrel
> cluster, AND you could manage the Client Account within rails.

I've thought about that, but each client potentially has thousands of
records in his/her database. I believe the system will get too slow
if all records are in one db, and all clients will be impacted by the
one client who has a million records.

Plus each and every table would have to have client_id in it. That
just smells bad to me. Much simpler to just give each client his own
db and switch on the request. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

-- John