[Mongrel] Sharing a mongrel cluster in a multi-url environment

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Thu Jan 29 09:42:58 EST 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 7:23 PM, Ripta Pasay wrote:

>> 1. Apache as the front end server, running mod_proxy
>> 2. A single mongrel cluster (4 mongrels)
>> 3. A single instance of my Rails application
> My question is, which one of the four mongrels is handling each of the
> request? Can it be that your application isn't thread-safe, and the
> same
> mongrel instance is getting sent a new request before the previous
> request completes?

No, sorry, I should have mentioned that I had already cut down the
number of mongrels in the cluster to 1. I would have, but in my mind
I had already ruled that out, so didn't think to mention it.

>> I had each Apache virtual host configuration insert a unique
>> client_id header in all requests, like so:
>>   RequestHeader set X_CLIENT_ID '7563TY7732UUW9'  # a unique id for
>> each domain
> Also, just curious: was there a specific reason you added another
> layer
> to the request routing with the use of X_CLIENT_ID, rather than
> just use
> the value of "request.host" in Rails? It seems there's a one-to-one
> mapping between virtual hostnames and X_CLIENT_ID.

Yes, I just didn't realize that at the outset. This is the first time
I'm doing something like this, so I'm sort of making it up as I go

-- John