[Mongrel] HTTP parse error due to an extra percent sign

David Vrensk david at vrensk.com
Thu Jan 8 14:03:03 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 18:51, Jonathan Rochkind <rochkind at jhu.edu> wrote:

> I can scream to the rooftops all I want.  [...]
> I complained both privately and publically about this. But the world is not
> always as we would like it, and sometimes our software needs to deal with
> incoming data that is not standards compliant, just the way it is.

Absolutely true.  And I think the solution you devised is a good one: take a
piece of software that (for reasons unknown to me) accepts malformed input,
have it clean up the input and pass it on.  No reason to disable checks in a
tool that actually does what it should.

Out of curiosity: what did this company respond when you asked them to
provide protocol-compliant data?  I'd like to think that they at least
apologised profusely for being unable to keep the tubes clean, as it were,
instead of saying "standards shmandards".