[Mongrel] HTTP parse error due to an extra percent sign

Robbie Allen lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Jan 7 14:44:45 EST 2009

If you append an extra percent sign to a URL that gets passed to
mongrel, it will return a Bad Request error.  Kind of odd that
"http://localhost/%" causes a "Bad Request" instead of a "Not Found"
error.

Here is the error from the mongrel log:
HTTP parse error, malformed request (127.0.0.1):
#<Mongrel::HttpParserError: Invalid HTTP format, parsing fails.>

I'm using Nginx in front of mongrel.  I understand this is a bad URL,
but is there anyway to have mongrel ignore lone percent signs?  Or
perhaps a Nginx rewrite rule that will encode extraneous percent signs?