[Mongrel] Mongrel as a Windows Service (not running Rails)

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 14:03:50 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Daniel Mantilla <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hi, I hope you can help me with this. I have implemented a simple web
> app on top of Mongrel and now I need to run it as a Windows Service. I
> explored the mongrel_service gem and it looks like I will need an
> executable (.exe) for this. Is there a way to use the existing
> mongrel_service.exe to run my own script?

mongrel_service gem was implemented to work with Rails.

Inside the gem there is mongrel_service.exe (inside bin), but that
only works with mongrel_rails script.

While your user case is a valid one, was not considered when developed.

You have a few options for your situation:

1) check mongrel_service FreeBASIC code (which is the actual service)
and implement your own variation.
(willl take you some time)

2) look into options like svrany or firedaemon, which let you run
console applications as services.

> Thanks in advance,

Hope this helps,
--