[Mongrel] Server Boot stall

Jenn Baker shadowsdawn at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 14:02:24 EST 2009


Hello,

I am relatively new to the Ruby community. I did look through the archives
and did not find anything that looked like what I am experiencing.

I have tried setting up RoR with the mongrel gem on both of my machines -
one runs Windows WP and the other runs Vista.  I was able to do some
development for a couple of days in Netbeans and the server script was
working, but when I updated Rubygems it started hanging.  I have uninstalled
everything that was development related and reinstalled only MySQL and Ruby
with the Rails, Mongrel, and MySQL gems and the problem is still occurring.

Here is what I am seeing - my env info is below. If anyone can help me
figure out what is wrong I would greatly appreciate it, since I can't
develop what I can't look at.

Running script/server:
C:\portaltest>ruby script/server
=> Booting Mongrel
=> Rails 2.3.5 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Call with -d to detach
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server

If I Ctrl-C, nothing happens until I try to hit the page in the browser -
then the server exits

running mongrel_rails start
C:\portaltest>mongrel_rails start
** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000
** Starting Rails with development environment...
** Rails loaded.
** Loading any Rails specific GemPlugins
** Signals ready.  INT => stop (no restart).
** Mongrel 1.1.5 available at 0.0.0.0:3000
** Use CTRL-C to stop.
** INT signal received.
Terminate batch job (Y/N)? y

In this case, the server does shut down without my having to hit the page in
the browser

Here is my gem environment info:
C:\>gem environment
RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i386-mswin32]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe
  - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby/bin
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86-mswin32-60
  - GEM PATHS:
     - C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
     - C:/Documents and Settings/Temair/.gem/ruby/1.8
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org/

Again, this is happening on both my boxes despite having completely
uninstalled all development programs and data and reinstalling only MySQL
and Ruby.  The server is the only aspect that appears to be having an
issue.

If more information is needed, I will be happy to provide it. If the
solution to this problem has already been posted, please send me the link.

Thank you,
Jenn
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/mongrel-users/attachments/20091205/7d2a64a5/attachment.html>


More information about the Mongrel-users mailing list