[Mongrel] [Mongrel-development] Mongrel, cross compilation, Echoe and rake-compiler

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Sun Apr 26 23:48:06 EDT 2009

Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Eric Wong <normalperson at yhbt.net> wrote:
> > Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The work on this has already started? Gossamer is the codename?
> >
> > Did you miss my earlier message posted to this list?
> >
> > http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/mongrel-development/2009-April/000323.html
> >
> Actually ignored for the simple sake that states *nix compatibility
> only, which is not my case since I'm on Windows

> Will take a look, keeping in mind that *must* work across all the
> platforms, at least cleanly like Mongrel does.

Of course, this is why Unicorn itself is a separate package from

I think the UNIX-only stuff is mainly confined to the HttpServer class
where the unportable stuff with forking, shared FDs, signals, pipes are.
That and the SocketHelper that can bind UNIX domain sockets.

The rest of it, mainly http_{request,response}.rb, is stripped-down from
Mongrel to only work with Rack and should be droppable into Mongrel.

The C/Ragel http11 parser interface has been simplified a lot with some
minor speed improvements.  It doesn't use any new functions so it should
be fine on Windows . The JRuby version will need to be updated to use
the simpler interface (or http_request to use the old interface).  I've
been planning on stealing (or writing) a pure-Ruby parser for Unicorn,
as well...

Eric Wong