[Mongrel] "service mongrel_cluster start" startup fails

David Vrensk david at vrensk.com
Mon Sep 15 08:01:05 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 4:44 AM, Steve Meyer <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> I've attempted to configure mongrel to start as a service in RHEL.
> I've copied mongrel_cluster to /etc/init.d and
> "#/etc/init.d/mongrel_cluster start" does work. However when I attempt
> to start mongrel_cluster using "service mongrel_cluster start" I get the
> following error:
>  service mongrel_cluster start
> /usr/bin/env: ruby: No such file or directory

"service" gives a better picture of what will happen on boot since it sets
up the environment as it would be for the init process that runs all the
little start scripts.  In this case, it looks like ruby is not in the
default path.  Read the man-page for 'service' for a little more information
and try creating a simple script in /etc/init.d that just prints out the
environment variables, like this (untested):

#! /bin/sh
env

Make it executable and run it with "service name_of_script start" to see
what it prints.  It's not the solution to your problem, but it's a start.

/David