[Mongrel] problem starting mongrel in windows

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 16:08:38 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 7:56 PM, suman gurung(hotmail)
<gurung_suman at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I was trying to get rails applications deployed in my pc(windows vista), and
> I had some problem trying to start mongrel web server, and I have no clue as
> to how and why it is not working.
> I have installed ruby, rubygems, rails, mysql and mongrel, the last three as
> rubygems. I could run the 'rails' command to and create an application with
> the folder structure and all. But when I tried to start the mongrel, I get
> the following error message.
> F:\ROR\sources\hello>mongrel_rails start -d
> C:/ruby/jruby-1.1.3/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `require': no such file to load -- win32/service (LoadError)
>         from
> C:/ruby/jruby-1.1.3/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.
> rb:27:in `require'
>         from
> C:/ruby/jruby-1.1.3/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel_service-0.1/lib/mongrel_service/init.rb:5
>         from
> C:/ruby/jruby-1.1.3/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel_service-0.1/lib/mongrel_service/init.rb:27:in
> `require'

To keep it short:

You're using JRuby, not Matz Ruby (MRI) so:

mongrel_service gem will not work, since it depends on win32-service,
which is only Windows (not Java).
You're using a old version of mongrel_service (0.1) which definitely
will not work as expected with latest Rails and Mongrel.

Daemonize (-d) otpion requires fork functionality, which is not
available in Windows (neither MRI or JRuby or any Ruby for Windows

> Also, is there any way to keep mongrel live and running?? I tried to install
> it as a service as mentioned in the website with the following command: gem
> install mongrel_service and it mentioned that 1 gem was installed, but I
> don't see any service with the name "mongrel" or "mongrel_rails" running in
> the list of services. I am new with mongrel so please do help me.

mongrel_rails service::install --help

That is clearly documented in mongrel site:

Luis Lavena
disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams