[Mongrel] Error: Mongrel timed out this thread: too many open files

Emmett Shear emmett at justin.tv
Thu May 29 16:07:27 EDT 2008

I just switched to Mongrel, and it's been working much better than my
previous lighttpd/fastcgi setup. So thanks for the awesomeness.

My current problem: once or twice an hour, I get following error in
production

Mongrel timed out this thread: too many open files

I never get it in testing or on our staging server. Any ideas what would
cause that? It doesn't *appear* particularly correlated with load to me, but
I'm only receiving notifications after the fact so I can't be sure.

Thanks,
Emmett