[Mongrel] Apache rewrites with mongrel

Ralf Vitasek neongrau at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 07:00:39 EDT 2008

the dispatch.cgi thing was meant for fastcgi setups without mongels,
but noone is using that anymore.

i don't think you need any rewrites at all.

by pointing the document root to the public dir and the ProxyPass that
end with "!" will make apache serve them statically without bothering
your mongrels.
everything else will then be directed to the cluster.

here is an example container i'm using

this is with windows authentication utilizing an active directory
domain and injecting the authenticated user into the headers for
further use within my app controller
assets like images / stylesheets and javascripts get served directly
and are also memcached
and all text content getting gzip compressed which saves about 70% of
traffic

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName someserver.domain.de
   DocumentRoot "C:/rails/public/"

   ErrorLog "C:/rails/log/balancer_error.log"

   CacheEnable mem /images
   CacheEnable mem /stylesheets
   CacheEnable mem /javascripts
   CacheEnable mem /latest/images
   MCacheSize 64000000
   MCacheMaxObjectCount 10000
   MCacheMinObjectSize 1
   MCacheMaxObjectSize 20480

   AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml text/
css application/json text/json application/xml application/xhtml+xml
text/javascript application/javascript application/x-javascript

   ProxyRequests Off
   ProxyVia On
   ProxyPreserveHost On

   ProxyPass /balancer !
   ProxyPass /images !
   ProxyPass /stylesheets !
   ProxyPass /javascripts !

   ProxyPass / balancer://mongrelcluster/
   ProxyPassReverse / balancer://mongrelcluster/

   <Proxy>
     AuthName "Windows Authentication"
     AuthType SSPI
     SSPIAuth On
     SSPIAuthoritative On
     SSPIOfferSSPI On
     SSPIOfferBasic On
     SSPIBasicPreferred On
     SSPIPerRequestAuth On
     SSPIDomain somedomain
     Require valid-user

     RewriteEngine On
     RewriteCond %{REMOTE_USER} (.+)
     RewriteRule . - [E=RU:%1]
     RequestHeader set REMOTE_USER %{RU}e
   </Proxy>

   <Proxy balancer://mongrelcluster>
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3101
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3102
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3103
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3104
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3105
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3106
   </Proxy>

   <Location /balancer>
     SetHandler balancer-manager
     AuthName "Windows Authentication for Balancer"
     AuthType SSPI
     SSPIAuth on
     SSPIOfferSSPI on
     SSPIOfferBasic off
     SSPIBasicPreferred On
     SSPIUsernameCase lower
     SSPIDomain somedomain
     Require group "somedomain\domain admins"
   </Location>

</VirtualHost>

--
Freundliche Grüße,
Ralf Vitasek

L_
OL

This is Schäuble.
Copy Schäuble into your signature
to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat