[Mongrel] Mongrel as Windows service with normal privileges

Luis Lavena luis at area17.com
Thu Jun 5 09:46:31 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Ingmar Stieger <ml at stiegerhs.de> wrote:
> [...]
>
> runas /user:web proc_info.exe
>
> *** CURRENT PROCESS ***
> EnumProcessModules (PID, name): 3904      proc_info.exe
> Module32First (PID, name): 3904           proc_info.exe
> GetProcessImageFileName (PID, name): 3904
> \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Temp\proc_info
> .exe
>
> *** PARENT PROCESS ***
> EnumProcessModules (PID, name): 244       Error with OpenProcess
> GetLastError: 5Zugriff verweigert
> <unknown>
> Module32First (PID, name): 244            Error Creating Snap (SNAPMODULE)
> GetLastError: 5Zugriff verweigert
> <unknown>
> GetProcessImageFileName (PID, name): 244  Error with OpenProcess
> GetLastError: 5Zugriff verweigert
> <unknown>
> Press Enter.

Hmn, looks like user web user is too limited to do anything.

> Zugriff verweigert = Access denied.
>
> I think this confirms my suspicion that the normal user "web" may not query
> the parent process. What do you think ?

How normal is normal? I mean, it can log in? it has applied some group
policy stuff in it?

Just for the sake of testing, can you create a "limited" account using
the control panel and try running proc_info.exe with it?

With that info maybe I can figure out what's wrong.

Thanks for your time,
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17