[Mongrel] Mongrel as Windows service with normal privileges

Ingmar Stieger ml at stiegerhs.de
Thu Jun 5 09:00:17 EDT 2008

> The thing is that looking at the initial post:
>
> 6. Running the service with service user only in Users (or Power Users) group
>   ===> DOES NOT WORK
>
> This make me think that running as user is not working, but the thing
> is is not actually working under LocalSystem account, I'm correct?

Sorry if that was not clear. It does work as service under LocalSystem
but it does not work as service under user "web".

>> C:\>sc qc rails3
>> [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
>>
>> SERVICE_NAME: rails3
>>       TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
>>       START_TYPE         : 3   DEMAND_START
>>       ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL
>>       BINARY_PATH_NAME   : "c:/ruby/bin/mongrel_service.exe" single -e
>> develop
>> ment -p 3000 -a 127.0.0.1 -l "log/mongrel.log" -P "log/mongrel.pid" -c
>> "C:/rails
>> /x" -t 0 -r "public" -n 1024
>>       LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   :
>>       TAG                : 0
>>       DISPLAY_NAME       : rails3
>>       DEPENDENCIES       :
>>       SERVICE_START_NAME : .\web
>
> SERVICE_START_NAME looks like web is the username used?

Yes, "web" is the restricted user.

> I made a test application when this was shown the first time, can you
> please try with it and provide me the output.

I've added a small INPUT "Press Enter.", s line at the end. This is the
output:

runas /user:web proc_info.exe

*** CURRENT PROCESS ***
EnumProcessModules (PID, name): 3904      proc_info.exe
Module32First (PID, name): 3904           proc_info.exe
GetProcessImageFileName (PID, name): 3904
\Device\HarddiskVolume5\Temp\proc_info
.exe

*** PARENT PROCESS ***
EnumProcessModules (PID, name): 244       Error with OpenProcess
GetLastError: 5Zugriff verweigert
<unknown>
Module32First (PID, name): 244            Error Creating Snap (SNAPMODULE)
GetLastError: 5Zugriff verweigert
<unknown>
GetProcessImageFileName (PID, name): 244  Error with OpenProcess
GetLastError: 5Zugriff verweigert
<unknown>
Press Enter.

Zugriff verweigert = Access denied.

I think this confirms my suspicion that the normal user "web" may not
query the parent process. What do you think ?

Bye,
Ingmar