[Mongrel] Mongrel as Windows service with normal privileges

Ingmar Stieger ml at stiegerhs.de
Thu Jun 5 05:23:40 EDT 2008

I digged a bit through the source code, and I am under the impression
that a normal user may not query the service control manager with
PROCESS_QUERY_INFORMATION. Could this be the case ?

_process_name does not return the name and _process_name_dyn_psapi fails
as well. (tested with 0.3.1 and 0.3.3). It looks like OpenProcess can
not be used in this manner...

In a totally unrelated project [1] I solved what I think you are trying
to do here differently:
I just pass the parameter "-runservice" from SCM in order to determine
if the application should run as service (called from SCM) or as a
normal console application. Maybe this would be an easier approach for
mongrel_service as well ?

I would create a proof of concept, but unfortunately, I am not
proficient with FreeBasic...

[1] http://www.nwnx.org