[Mongrel] Mongrel as Windows service with normal privileges
ml at stiegerhs.de
Wed Jun 4 12:37:43 EDT 2008
I am trying to run Mongrel 1.1.5 with mongrel_service 0.3.4 on Ruby
1.8.6 with a "normal" user account, i.e. a user which belongs only to
the Windows group "Users". The rationale behind this is that running a
web server with full administrative rights (e.g. Local System) is not
something that I would like to do.
Unfortunately, starting the service from the services control panel
results in the following error message: "The service did not respond to
the start or control request in a timely fashion" (the error comes up
very quickly, maybe 1 second max).
This happens only if the user the service is configured to run as does
not belong to the "Administrators" group, otherwise it works fine.
I have read a couple of threads about this subject, so this is what I
have already tried:
(With psexec -l cmd.exe:)
1. mongrel_rails start -e development -a 127.0.0.1 -p 3000
2. mongrel_service console single -e development -a 127.0.0.1 -p 3000
(Interactively logged in as the service user:)
3. mongrel_rails start -e development -a 127.0.0.1 -p 3000
4. mongrel_service console single -e development -a 127.0.0.1 -p 3000
5. Running the service with service user in Administrator group
6. Running the service with service user only in Users (or Power Users)
===> DOES NOT WORK
I had to change a couple of NTFS security settings in order to get it
run with normal privileges. Now the only thing that still does not work
is #6. Unfortunately, no log files are being generated, especially
ServiceFB.log is nowhere to be found. The server is Windows Server 2003
Standard, by the way.
Could anybody please enlighten me how I could further analyze this
problem ? I followed the advise here in the list as far as I could, but
now I am at a loss.
Thanks in advance,
More information about the Mongrel-users