[Mongrel] Mongrel on Ruby 1.8.6 w/ patchlevel 279 (Win)

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 05:17:19 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Mersus Mersus <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I can't install Mongrel on Ruby 1.8.6 (patchlevel 279), using Windows
> XP.
> My environment:
>
> C:\ruby18>gem environment
> RubyGems Environment:
>  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.2.0
>  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-07-17 patchlevel 279) [i386-mingw32]
>  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: c:/ruby18/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: c:/ruby18/bin/ruby.exe
>  - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: c:/ruby18/bin
>  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
>    - ruby
>    - x86-mingw32
>  - GEM PATHS:
>     - c:/ruby18/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
>     - :update_sources => true
>     - :verbose => true
>     - :benchmark => false
>     - :backtrace => false
>     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
>  - REMOTE SOURCES:
>     - http://gems.rubyforge.org/
>
> When I get Mongrel:
>
> C:\ruby18>gem install mongrel -include-dependencies
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> ERROR:  Error installing mongrel:
>        ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> c:/ruby18/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install mongrel -include-dependencies
> creating Makefile
>
> make
> 'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> Gem files will remain installed in
> C:/ruby18/nclude-dependencies/gems/fastthread
> -1.0.1 for inspection.
> Results logged to
> C:/ruby18/nclude-dependencies/gems/fastthread-1.0.1/ext/fastth
> read/gem_make.out
>
> Even dowloading an older version, i get the same error:
> C:\ruby18>gem install mongrel -v'=1.1.4'
>
> I made a 'manual' instalation
> (http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/AkitaOnRails/~3/341683066/testing-the-new-one-click-ruby-installer-for-windows).
> Any help is welcome.

Hey Mersus, thanks for trying the MinGW build of Ruby!

Right now 1.1.x releases of Mongrel are not compatible with MinGW
build, mostly becasue I forgot to backport the updated RUBY_PLATFORM
regexp from 1.2 branch

Also, you need the MinGW compiler around to be able to build the
native extension of both mongrel and fastthread (being the last one a
dependency of mongrel gem).

I'll fix the RUBY_PLATFORM issues in 1.1 sourcecode.

Thanks for reporting this back.
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17