[Mongrel] Mongrel claims to be available, but the site isn't visible

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Jul 2 02:39:13 EDT 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:28:31 +0200
Clara Raubertas <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to deploy a rails app for development on slicehost and I
> can't seem to get mongrel to work correctly. When I run
> But when I visit http://mysite.com:3000, I get a page load error instead
> of the expected rails app.

You'll need to figure out what is preventing you from accessing it.  If
you follow the chain of potential causes from browser to Rails you get
these linkages:

1) Browser->Network  -- Can you connect to other sites?
2) Network->Network  -- Can you connect to the remote computer with
another protocol?
3) Network->Port 3000 -- Can you connect to port 3000 with something
you know works listening on port 3000? (not mongrel)
4) Port 3000->Mongrel  -- Does Mongrel receive the request?  Try -B
(debug).  What about from localhost->localhost:3000?  If you can do
localhost->localhost, but not network->network then you have a firewall
5) Mongrel -> Rails -- Is Rails receiving it and sending a reply?
Check rails log.
6) Rails -> Database -- Is the database getting hit?

Then follow the chain back.  Tools that can help you:

* lsof -i -P
* wireshark
* route -n
* netstat