[Mongrel] Mongrel claims to be available, but the site isn't visible

Clara Raubertas lists at ruby-forum.com
Tue Jul 1 15:28:31 EDT 2008

I'm trying to deploy a rails app for development on slicehost and I
can't seem to get mongrel to work correctly. When I run

mongrel_rails start

I get:

** Starting Mongrel listening at
** Starting Rails with development environment...
** Rails loaded.
** Signals ready.  TERM => stop.  USR2 => restart.  INT => stop (no
** Rails signals registered.  HUP => reload (without restart).  It might
not work well.
** Mongrel 1.1.5 available at
** Use CTRL-C to stop.

But when I visit http://mysite.com:3000, I get a page load error instead
of the expected rails app.

No errors show up in mongrel.log.

I have no problem using my app in script/console or viewing the root of
my domain (served by apache) -- but I just can't get the mongrel site to
show up in the browser.

Is there something I can do besides checking in the browser and looking
at mongrel.log that will tell me if mongrel is running and/or having
errors? Could this be port 3000 not being publicly accessible for some
reason (and if so, how can I change this)? Any other reasons this might
be happening?

Thanks very much for any advice!