[Mongrel] consolidated log file?

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 17:31:02 EST 2008

On 13 Feb 2008, at 21:56, Ed Hickey wrote:

> At least in my case, the issue is definitely related to the size of
> the log.  All the sapped memory gets freed as soon as I truncate the
> production.log.
>
> I tried SyslogLogger today
> (http://rails-analyzer.rubyforge.org/hacks/classes/SyslogLogger.html)
> but couldn't get the rails log to only show up in one place when
> following the README's directions  It was logging to
> /var/log/production.log as well as /var/log/messages.  Server load
> jumped up to 2, I assume because of all the disk IO.
> Anyone who's deployed SyslogLogger and has insight, comments welcome.
>
> Also, anyone tried Analogger?  http://analogger.swiftcore.org/

I'm not running it in production yet, but we're using it in a
development environment for our application. I sent Kirk Haines a
patch which implements a Logger style api which you can hand to the
rails log config options. I believe this will be coming with the
release that is coming up soon.

It's been working just fine under development for our group, and we
will be going production with it shortly.

>>> http://lyceum.ibiblio.org
>>> http://dissent.cc
>>> http://jjb.cc