[Mongrel] consolidated log file?

Sean Brown seanmichaelbrown at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 10:50:34 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:36:06 -0600
>  "Ed Hickey" <bassnode at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I recently just blogged about my experiences with large logfiles
>  > effecting mongrel.  It's not hugely scientific, but there is
>  > definitely a connection between mongrel memory usage and the rails
>  > production.log.
>  > http://blog.edhickey.com/2008/02/08/mongrel-memory-usage/
>  That's fucking weird.  There's definitely a correlation, but not sure
>  how mongrel would cause that.  It doesn't touch the logs or logger or
>  anything and leaves that all to Rails.
>  How much you want to bet that hack job rails-core did on the fucking
>  Logger class causes this?  Not sure how.  That's just weird.
>  Next would to see if it happens in jruby since they use a different IO
>  setup.
>  Anyway, looks like syslogger is the way to go for production.

This won't address the cause, but can alleviate the symptoms.  We use
logrotate to rotate our production logs once a week and that
definitely helps keep things snappy.  You certainly set them to rotate
more or less frequently if your application needs it.  If anyone would
like to see our logrotate configuration, let me know.

Sean Brown
seanmichaelbrown at gmail.com