[Mongrel] automatic startup in leopard

Kevin Davis kgdavis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 23:00:57 EST 2008

I've been having quite a bit of trouble since upgrading to leopard.
I had a launchctl plist file that seemed to work (attached). It essentially
ran mongrel_rails bunch of times with different arguments.

In leopard it fails to load, saying:

launchctl: propertyList is NULL
launchctl: no plist was returned for: net.mongrel.plist
launchctl: no plist was returned for: net.mongrel.plist
nothing found to load

In the process of trying to figure out what was wrong I learned about
mongrel_cluster. I made a much more elegant file that calls mongrel_rails
cluster::start once. The mongrels start up ok, but launchctl doesn't seem to
recognize this and tries to start the processes every 10 seconds.

I'm guessing that this is because the mongrel_rails script ends up calling
something else and launchctl doesn't recognize it as running

I'd considered removing the 'keepalive' key, but that's the whole value of
launchctl.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Much appreciated,

Kevin