[Mongrel] Newbie Question: Can I setup mongrel as a proxy between a browser and the web?

Steve Midgley public at misuse.org
Wed Feb 6 18:57:36 EST 2008

At 12:39 PM 2/6/2008, mongrel-users-request at rubyforge.org wrote:
>Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:32:16 -0800
>From: "Arash Nikkar" <anikkar at gmail.com>
>Subject: [Mongrel] Newbie Question: Can I setup mongrel as a proxy
>         between a       browser and the web?
>To: mongrel-users at rubyforge.org
>         <61ddf71e0802061132i59a5b05fy7df5c74e6cc1be02 at mail.gmail.com>
>single web page. Note: This does not have anything to do with rails,
>my goal
>is to run a ruby app in the background, set firefox to proxy all
>through it, log those requests, then return the fulfilled request back
>the browser (i.e. the web page still loads in the browser).

Hi Arash,

You may have interest in coding a solution to this, for your own
reasons. I totally support those inclinations! :) I'm going to go a
little off-topic with an idea though:

Personally, I use "Tamper Data"
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/966) within FireFox to
handle this type of thing. It's a most excellent resource: it's like a
wire sniffer at the HTTP level only. It supports decoding request data
and tracking POST, GET and Ajax stuff.

It's been invaluable for me in some circumstances - I hope the
reference is helpful.

p.s. It's been particularly helpful in trapping precisely certain live
GET & Ajax requests which I then convert into testing requests to
re-create the errors.