[Mongrel] garbage collection patch

Roger Pack lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Feb 6 01:35:29 EST 2008

> Not sure, it's probably not get you far since you'd end up paying for
> it later anyway.  I'd say try it for one or two actions or as a couple
> of mongrel handlers and see if it helps you.  You coudl also do it
> filter style that would let you just do this GC hackery for one request.

I believe the two things that have been done to combat this "sore spot"
for rails (that it sometimes GC's more than once per request [1]) are
1) patch gc.c so that it collects less frequently [i.e. sets the
collection frequency to be every 40MB instead of 8).  Kind of hard using
extensions only :)
2) have rails GC only every X requests (fastcgi does this, I think).

It might make a difference in performance.
Thoughts?

[1] http://blog.pluron.com/2008/01/ruby-on-rails-i.html