[Mongrel] consolidated log file?

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 19:32:00 EST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 5:23 PM, Kevin Lawver <lawver at gmail.com> wrote:
> We did this on "accident" on our site, and the performance hit is
> horrible.  You might not notice it when you're not getting a lot of
> traffic, but when you do, the performance hit is really awful.  Each
> mongrel needs to have its own log file and log only the messages you
> absolutely need (which is pretty much true for every web server).

That doesn't really make sense, though, since Mongrel logs almost
nothing.  It shouldn't materially affect performance because it is
almost never writing anything to the file.

If, on the other hand, you accidentally pooled your app logs into the
same file, then yeah, that will create a performance hit under load
because every requests on each different process is trying to push to
that same file and just depending on the OS to sort it out.

Kirk Haines