[Mongrel] consolidated log file?

Kevin Lawver lawver at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 19:23:29 EST 2008

We did this on "accident" on our site, and the performance hit is
horrible.  You might not notice it when you're not getting a lot of
traffic, but when you do, the performance hit is really awful.  Each
mongrel needs to have its own log file and log only the messages you
absolutely need (which is pretty much true for every web server).

Cheers,

Kevin Lawver

On Feb 5, 2008 2:06 PM, John Joseph Bachir <johnjosephbachir at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks.
>
> Using mongrel_rails, Is it possible to have multiple mongrel instances
> write to the same log file? I suppose that implementing this might
> incur a performance hit since each mongrel would need to lock and
> unlock the file in order to not weave the log messages together in an
> unreadable stream? Or perhaps all the log messages are single-line
> anyway.
>
> Thanks,
> john
>
> --