[Mongrel] consolidated log file?

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:24:30 EST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 3:06 PM, John Joseph Bachir <johnjosephbachir at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks.
>
> Using mongrel_rails, Is it possible to have multiple mongrel instances
> write to the same log file? I suppose that implementing this might
> incur a performance hit since each mongrel would need to lock and
> unlock the file in order to not weave the log messages together in an
> unreadable stream? Or perhaps all the log messages are single-line
> anyway.

Are you talking about the mongrel log itself (which usually doesn't
accumulate much), or your application's log?

With as little as Mongrel itself writes, I wouldn't see any
significant problem in just having all of your mongrels write to the
same file, personally.

If you are talking about application logs, then one way is to use an
external logging service of some sort.  I have one, Analogger
(http://analogger.swiftcore.org).  As of the release there it isn't
quite drop in compatible with Rails, but I'm releasing an update which
provides an interface to allow drop in Rails compatibility.

Kirk Haines