[Mongrel] consolidated log file?

David Vrensk david at vrensk.com
Tue Feb 5 17:19:42 EST 2008

On 2/5/08, John Joseph Bachir <johnjosephbachir at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks.
> Using mongrel_rails, Is it possible to have multiple mongrel instances
> write to the same log file? I suppose that implementing this might
> incur a performance hit since each mongrel would need to lock and
> unlock the file in order to not weave the log messages together in an
> unreadable stream? Or perhaps all the log messages are single-line
> anyway.

Not 100 % sure I see what you're looking for, but anyway: In my
out-of-the-box setup, my three mongrelled rails instances all write to
log/production.log.  There is no locking, and sometimes log messages are
interleaved (interleft?).

The mongrels write a little something to their respective log files during
start and stop, but that's all.

You might want to have a look at Kirk Haines's "Analogger", which I believe
solves the interleaving problem.  I remember Kirk advising us on it on the
list, so you could have a look in the archive.