[Mongrel] Disabling static file lookups?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 11:54:50 EST 2008

On Dec 11, 2008, at 6:05 PM, Cody Caughlan wrote:

> In looking at a running mongrel process in strace and at the code
> itself Mongrel will always look for a file under "public" (with and
> without a .html extension). When those filesystem lookups fail, it
> then passes the request to Rails.
>
> So my question is, would you get more performance by disabling this
> lookup and just handing it off to Rails from the get go?
>
> I understand that in development, the current behavior is desired as
> Mongrel is acting as the primary HTTP server. But in production, with
> a HTTP server like Apache or nginx in front and configured to serve
> static files, then it might make sense to not have Mongrel concern
> itself with looking for static files.
>
> Maybe the OS caches those filesystem calls (stat cache?) and this
> would be a crazy premature optimization.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> /Cody

	You should be able to alter the railshandler to not do these lookups
when a config option is set. Merb uses rack middleware to do the
static pages and that can be easily turned off in production. I
believe latest rails does this as well and maybe you can disable these
checks with rack in rails as well?

Cheers-

Ezra Zygmuntowicz
ez at engineyard.com