[Mongrel] mongrel_cluster : up to 500 MiB memory

Céd B. lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Dec 10 05:36:43 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I've got some trouble with my RoR application running with apache
(2.2.9) and mongrel (1.1.5).

The site i manage has about 20'000 visits a day, and we run 14 mongrel
instances switched with mongrel_cluster (1.0.5). The fact is, sometime,
half of my mongrel instances are raising something like 500MiB memory
and don't seem to work anymore.

The server itself has 8 CPU's and 8Go of RAM.

I read different how-to's about mongrel and mongrel_rails but most of
them are just talking about how to start with mongrel.

I would like to know if there is a way to monitor mongrel instance
and/or how to improve my configuration?

If anyone has a suggestion, it'll be very helpfull.