[Mongrel] Threading Rails

Jonathan Weiss jw at innerewut.de
Wed Aug 27 16:29:24 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Piyush Ranjan <piyush.pr at gmail.com> wrote:
> isn't rails 2.2 / edge supposed to have threading built in ? or am I missing
> something here ?

Rails 2.2 is thread-safe. This doesn't mean that it is automatically
used this way.

> also mongrel can handle multiple threads well . In fact I have tried it in
> mongrel handlers and it works very well (for 75 concurrent requests each
> taking 5 minutes to complete).

Mongrel can handle multiple threads, but Rails runs inside a big
lock/mutex (because until 2.2 it isn't thread-safe).

This whole discussion is about changing/removing the lock.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Weiss
http://blog.innerewut.de