[Mongrel] mod_proxy, mongrel, redirect issue

Will Green will at hotgazpacho.com
Wed Aug 20 16:45:57 EDT 2008

Assuming you're running a Rails app, and you want all things generated
by link_to, url_for, etc. to keep you in  HTTPS , then yes. Otherwise,
you effectively double the number of HTTP requests that the browser
makes. This is wasteful, and depending on your allocated bandwidth and
popularity, costly.

Redirect them once to get them into HTTPS, but once they're there, the
X_FORWARDED_PROTO header is an exceedingly GOOD idea.