[Mongrel] Go ahead and use Git

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 12:27:51 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>  I heard a rumor that there's some FUD going around I won't let people
>  on the Mongrel project use Git.  Subversion blows, so go ahead and use
>  Git if it makes people happy.

Blame me, I used your comment as reference dealing with the repository
code for One-Click Ruby Installer project.

We have discussed that on our devel list here [1] and [2].

But I never said that you don't let us, just said that you don't want
the svn repo moved into a closed source hosting facility/location.

>  I actually never said you can't use Git.  My objection previously was
>  that Evan wanted to move the Subversion repository onto his own
>  computers and off of RubyForge.  This would have meant that Evan was in
>  total control of the source, and while I trust him, it would have made
>  people not trust the project.  Mongrel has to be housed in a neutral
>  location so that people can get at it no matter what disputes the team
>  might have, and outside of any corporate or special interests.
>  RubyForge is the only place that I (and others) trust, so keep there
>  there.  Outside of that, do as you want.

I keep a bzr clone of mongrel repository here, and even the latest
changes I made into stable are pushed thanks to bzr-svn integration.

>  That's all.  Now that RubyForge supports Git you can go to town on it
>  and rock on.
>  Oh, one thing to consider though is that Windows developers are screwed
>  if you use Git.  You would probably have to find a way to mirror in svn
>  or get it working on windows.  Consult with Luis about this since he
>  knows more.

I've been contributing back to DataMapper and a bit to rubinius using
Git, so far, the msysGit team did a great work providing something
that "just works", have a few glitches, like svn did, but on average,
is good.

[1] http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubyinstaller-devel/2008-April/000302.html
[2] http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubyinstaller-devel/2008-April/000306.html
Luis Lavena