[Mongrel] General Mongrel Question

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 14:05:25 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Greg Lazarev <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:

>  Why do I need a cluster? Why can't I just run:
>
>  mongrel_rails start -n 3

That starts 3 mongrel instances, each listening on a different port.

>  wouldn't that mean I have 3 mongrel servers running and they can handle
>  more load? Or do I still need something in front of these 3 servers to
>  distribute requests to them. Why do people use Apache infront of
>  Mongrel? So what about Pound?

People put something in front of the mongrels because they need a way
to balance the load, which is all coming into one ip/port, across
multiple processes, each of which are listening on a separate port.

This mechanism can be a web server with proxying capabilities, like
Apache or nginx, a proxy with web serving capabilities, like
Swiftiply, or a straight proxy like Pound or HAProxy.

Kirk Haines