[Mongrel] General Mongrel Question

Greg Lazarev lists at ruby-forum.com
Tue Apr 15 13:33:16 EDT 2008

Could someone please clarify for me what is mongrel cluster vs. proxy
vs. all that other stuff you use with mongrel?
I'm basically confused why I can't simply run one mongrel server and be
happy.
Why do I need a cluster? Why can't I just run:

mongrel_rails start -n 3

wouldn't that mean I have 3 mongrel servers running and they can handle
more load? Or do I still need something in front of these 3 servers to
distribute requests to them. Why do people use Apache infront of
Mongrel? So what about Pound?

Basically I'm very confused with all these options out there to run in
production environment using Mongrel. Please help me and explain to me
why all this is needed.

Thank you in advance.