[Mongrel] Newbie confusion.

TW Scannell twscannell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 12:19:28 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am new to Rails and the Linux world coming from 12 years of advanced VB
programming. I am writing to try and clear up some confusion on my part
about installing Mongrel.

Please don't take this as a rant, I do appreciate the effort that y'all put
into the community, but as a newbie, I was, and still am confused.
I want to learn about Mongrel, so it found
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/started.html and followed the simple
instructions:

$ sudo gem install mongrel$ cd myrailsapp$ mongrel_rails start -d

Which runs Mongrel in the background. You can stop it with:

$ mongrel_rails stop

What I found was far more than that, and to be honest, I have no idea
whether or not I installed correctly.
When I ran sudo gem install mongrel, I was presented with a series of
options that I had no idea of how to respond.

Install required dependency daemons? [Yn]  y
Install required dependency fastthread? [Yn]  y
Install required dependency gem_plugin? [Yn]  y
Install required dependency cgi_multipart_eof_fix? [Yn]  y

After the install, the command "mongrel_rails start -d" was not recognized

$ mongrel_rails start -d
bash: mongrel_rails: command not found

soo... I gave up and did what I had been doing, which is script/server.
Lo-and-behold, mongrel starts up... ???

$ script/server
=> Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick)
=> Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Call with -d to detach
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server
** Ruby version is not up-to-date; loading cgi_multipart_eof_fix
** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000
** Starting Rails with development environment...
** Rails loaded.
** Signals ready.  TERM => stop.  USR2 => restart.  INT => stop (no restart).
** Rails signals registered.  HUP => reload (without restart).  It
might not work well.
** Mongrel available at 0.0.0.0:3000
** Use CTRL-C to stop.

I guess that that the correct cmd would be "script/server -d ???

OK, it's not the end of the world, but it sure threw me for a
loop.Like I said, I appreciate all that you do, but maybe some of this
could be put into the "Getting Started" page.

Thanks
TW Scannell