[Mongrel] SqueezeBox, a new Mongrel handler

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Sat Sep 22 14:49:47 EDT 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:06:51 +0200
"ry dahl" <ry at tinyclouds.org> wrote:

> SqueezeBox is a simple file system based routing framework for erubis
> templates.
> It aims for a couple of niceties as well:

Looks like fun.  Is there anything in particular you're doing with it, or just for fun.
> Instead of putting your logic inside your template, like you would
> with PHP, SqueezeBox recognizes a separate logic file to be called
> before it loads the template. This allows you room to load
> ActiveRecord models or do calculations. These logic files return to
> the webserver the last line of their execution. If render() is the
> last line, it will load the template associated with that logic file.
> If a string containing, say, JSON is returned, then the JSON will be
> the body of the response and the template ignored. In fact, any object
> that contains a read method can be returned and the SqueezeBox will
> stream the response. (This cute behavior is stolen from Merb.)

Ok, now you say this is a handler.  I haven't checked it quite yet, but what's the possibility of a rails project installing this for the parts of a site that need to be quick.

I believe this was the original intent with merb, but then it became its own rails-clone.  I'm still looking for something tiny that can piggy-back on rails.

Kind of like Master Blaster in that really bad Mad Max movie with Tina Turner.

> Please try it out! Thanks!

I'll play with it today.  Might actually need something like this for the Utu project.

Zed A. Shaw
- Good: http://www.zedshaw.com/
- Evil: http://yearofevil.com/