[Mongrel] Apache mod_proxy_balancer hang on high traffic hour

Jason A. Hoffman jason at joyent.com
Sat Sep 15 09:33:58 EDT 2007

Apache's mod_proxy_balancer module is a fully blocking module and with
the default httpd.conf you're going to max out in the 120-160 requests/
second range on a decent box. You can tune up its proxying to about a
1000 req/sec

So yes the net result is that you can really only put a couple of
mongrels behind apache's proxy engine (about 2   "hello world" rails
mongrels).

If you can hit mongrels directly and all is fine, but it's clogged up
via apache ( and you're doing in the hundreds of request/sec), than
this is the botteneck that you've hit. This at least explains the
original poster's problem.

-Jason