[Mongrel] mongrel_rails service on windows incompatible with recent ruby builds?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 00:51:25 EDT 2007

> On 9/14/07, Ralf Vitasek <neongrau at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hello luis!
> >
> > in the meantime i've done some more tests and i'm pretty sure the
> > problem has nothing to do with win32ole.
> >

> You're Right!!!!
>
> It seems that running in console mode also fails (for the versions you
> listed with problems).
>
> I'm hooking a simple logger into mongrel_service to trace the problem
> inside ruby (and see if it reports something).
>
> I don't know what was "fixed" in the latest patchlevel release of
> 1.8.5, but it seems something "broke" :-P

Ok, let just try something:

Please, download the following file:

http://mmediasys.com/mongrel/mongrel_service-0.3.3-mswin32.gem

Before install it, please remove the 0.3.2 of mongrel_service gem
(Also, manually remove the mongrel_service.exe and the related log
files from ruby\bin folder).

Install it, and reinstall the service (or test with a dummy/empty
rails application).
NOTE: You need to install a new service for the updated
mongrel_service executable get copied in ruby\bin, without it, nothing
will work.

Now, try starting your service with net start and also in console mode.

I've tested with patchlevel 52 and 12 of 1.8.5, with both versions works.

This experimental version includes back ported code from upcoming
project. If this works for you, I'll commit the changes to the SVN and
release the updated version.

Also, check C:\Ruby\bin\services.log

This is still to rough, but there is logged the STDOUT/STDERR pipes for Mongrel.
(Should be inside your application log folder, but didn't have the
time to back port my OptionParser to mongrel_service).

Let me know any problems (and hope success too!).

Regards,

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems