[Mongrel] mongrel_rails service on windows incompatible with recent ruby builds?

Jano Svitok jan.svitok at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 11:34:34 EDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Ralf Vitasek <neongrau at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello luis!
>
> in the meantime i've done some more tests and i'm pretty sure the
> problem has nothing to do with win32ole.
>
> i switched to ODBC mode and observed the same behavior as with the
> win32ole driven ADO driver.
>
> and  by creating a new plain rails app that was using a mysql 5
> database the problem showed up the same. meaning as soon as i copy
> back one of the previous ruby builds the service will start up fine.

I don't remember the whole story here, just offering few tips:

1. add some tracing to mongrel.rb (and possibly to mongrel.bat/cmd,
depending on what's called when staring the service)

2. use ProcExp to see if ruby.exe starts at all.

3. use DbgView to see if there are any debug messages that could help

4. use full path wherever possible, don't rely on proper PATH.

J.