[Mongrel] Apache mod_proxy_balancer hang on high traffic hour

William Tribley bill at tribley.org
Thu Sep 13 18:42:04 EDT 2007

I am a neophyte at this, but if you read the documentation about
mongrel and load balancing they strongly suggest going to more boxes
and only running 4 or so Mongrel instances per box. If you only have
a dual core server, it does not make much sense to jack up the RAM so
you can stuff more processes in. Performance is all about eliminating
latency, if you have two lowly cpus handling 20k requests per hour
yes, I bet you're slow.

Other factors
1. Database should be clustered and running on its own box.
2. Are you properly managing logs? They would be growing at a rapid rate.
3. Any chance of going to a quad or octal CPU configuration?

Best regards,
Bill