[Mongrel] streaming video with mongrel

Pete DeLaurentis pete at nextengine.com
Thu Sep 13 12:05:59 EDT 2007

You can use X-Sendfile.  Your mongrel / ruby application simply sends
back a X-Sendfile header pointing to the local file that you want to
download to the user.

The web-server then takes over and streams the file to the server,
and your mongrel process gets to continue without having to wait for
the download.

I use it with Lighttpd 1.5, and it works very well.  From what I
hear, this is also possible with Apache.

This lets you have some security of download + still have speed.

-Pete