[Mongrel] Mongrel hangs, consumes all CPU on shutdown

Evan Weaver evan at cloudbur.st
Thu Sep 13 09:25:58 EDT 2007

Next time it hangs, you should invade the process using Mauricio's
live inspection scripts and raise an exception. Then you'll get a
traceback and can see where it is stuck.

http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?ruby+live+process+introspection

The scripts are for 1.8.6 but you can still manage to write a
traceback to a file on 1.8.5 with some blind eval-ing, if I remember
correctly.

Evan

On 9/13/07, Bob Hutchison <hutch at recursive.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have exactly the same problem. I'm using OS X 10.4.10, ruby 1.8.5,
> mongrel 1.0.
>
> This has been getting *much* worse recently, it used to be
> occasional, now it seems to be pretty much every time. Maybe co-
> incident with the 10.4.10 update, maybe after.
>
> It does not happen with Merb.
>
> It does not happen with Rails in production mode, only development mode.
>
> It takes a while before it happens, I don't know how long, but we're
> talking about minutes not hours.
>
> I do not use a DB at all, if Rails tries to do something with a DB,
> and it might, it'll be with sqllite.
>
> I have no other information beyond that.
>
> Cheers,
> Bob
>
> ----
> Bob Hutchison                  -- tumblelog at http://